Wednesday, September 14, 2011

My Father, Maker of The Trees How I Survived the Rwandan Genocide

My Father, Maker of the Trees
How I Survived the Rwandan Genocide
Author: Eric Irivuzumugabe with Tracey D. Lawrence
Read By: Dion Graham
5 discs
*NonFiction*

This is the Remarkable story of a 16 year old boy who lived in a tree for 15 days without food or water.  Eric stayed in the trees to stay hidden from the terrible slaughter of the Rwandan genocide that claimed the lives of 800,000 people in just 100 days. 

His story is absolutely amazing, and what he lived through is simply unbelievable.  The beginning of this book had me in tears just knowing that these events actually took place. 

When I picked this book out however, I was interested in this man's life story-it states on the back of the book thats its a story of his Physical survival as well as his spiritual rebirth...with that being said he is siting verses from the Bible and It gets pretty preachy in the second half of the book to where I stopped listening to it alltogether.  This book is published by ChristianAudio so it makes sense that it would have a very Spiritual nature to it....If you like Christian Influence mixed with a great story this is definately the book for you.  It was really great listening to this man who was so greatful with so little....and despite all he has been thru perserveres to inspire and help others with this story.

As I stated earlier I was completely into the storyline of this book so when I went back to the Library I picked up "An Ordinary Man" which I havent listened to yet, but is an autobiography of a Rwandan Man who retells his experience going through the Rwandan Genocide.

No comments:

Post a Comment